July 13, 2012

"Positiveness through Challenges" ..... Karen Tyrrell story of TRUMPH over Mental Illness.



Over the course of my journey, I have had opportunities to meet some amazing people.  They too, have gone through big challenges, but have found ways to make it through.  Karen Tyrrell is one of those wonderful, courageous people and I invited her to share her story with you here.  
Karen's book ME AND HER: A Memoir of Madness is now available to read and I have enjoyed getting to know this amazing lady.  Thank you very much Karen for sharing your journey. 

My TRIUMPH over Mental Illness … Karen Tyrrell
My name’s Karen Tyrrell, author of Me and Her: A Memoir Of Madness. I’ve triumphed over mental illness and I share my story of hope and Recovery.
How did I become Mentally Ill?
As a teacher, I was repeatedly harassed and stalked by my parents of one of my students. Each day they wreaked verbal, written and psychological abuse. I developed severe stress, jaw clenching anxiety, night terrors and long term sleep deprivation until I could take no more. I escaped and ran to a lonely motel. Eventually police found me, incarcerating me in a psyche hospital.
How did I Recover from severe mental illness and Transform my life?
My first step was to embrace my diagnosis of bipolar disorder and learn everything about my illness. I was determined to recover and return home to full mental health and to teaching my class of year two students again. Mental illness is like any other illness … it has symptoms, diagnosis, treatment … and most importantly Recovery.
How did I Reclaim my life?
I radically changed my daily routines into ultra-healthy ones and learned how to balance my emotions. I developed a proactive wellness plan with a repertoire of coping strategies to counter-act the early warning signs of stress and insomnia.
I embraced the eastern philosophy of Mindfulness, learning to live in the NOW. I empowered myself with potent visualization techniques, rehearsing positive outcomes, facing life’s challenges head-on. Each day I scribbled down how I was feeling, expressing my angst, literally writing my way to recovery.
I’ve come so far along my journey to Recovery but realise so many out there are still grappling with stress, depression, anxiety, insomnia, addictions and mental health issues. My dream is that Me and Her will open up discussions on mental illness and mental health, providing hope and a guide to recovery for those dealing with their issues.

I’m proud to say, I’m now a pro-active mental health advocate, public speaker, workshop presenter, coordinator of Logan City Writers collective and the writer of six books. If I can recover from the depths of severe psychosis and mania, think of what YOU can achieve in your life.
Me and Her: A Memoir Of Madness is available on Amazon http://lnkd.in/BmuVR7
Please go to Karen’s website www.karentyrrell.com to subscribe to her FREE mental health Me and Her newsletter. Just leave a comment on the contact page. Please join Karen’s Facebook page, Karen Tyrrell Author. http://www.facebook.com/karenwrites19
What would you like to ask Karen?


14 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Ros for requesting me to Guest Blog about my triumph over mental illness and my journey to recovery.
    If any of your readers would like to ask a questions I'm here *LIVE* on line to answer their queries.
    cheers,
    Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my pleasure I so much enjoy hearing of others courage and victories with our challenges. Love reading the book.

    Great job. Thanks again for sharing. Cheers
    Ros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ros for your fabulous *5 STAR* review of ME & HER: a Memoir Of Madness over at Goodreads yesterday. I'm thrilled you LOVED it :)Here's the link to my Reviews for your readers...
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13568261-me-and-her
    I'm here to answer your readers questions ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you could recommend one particular thing to help what would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ros,
    Everyone should have their own Wellness Plan, a repetoire of coping skills to make you resilient to life's little and BIG challenges.
    Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Karen. I found that going for a walk, being gentle as much as I could. If I felt need to go to sit and be near the ocean or be surrounded by nature I did it. It is up to us to look after our self and listen to our intuition and do what is right for our self, as we are all unique. Thanks Ros

      Delete
  6. Did you find people treated you differently once you were diagnosed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family and friends were relieved that I was getting treatment.
    I kept my diagnosis guarded from strangers.
    Three years ago I "came out" on my website. I shared how I RECOVERED from mental illness and now I'm a pro-active mental health advocate helping others on their journey to recovery.
    http://www.karentyrrell.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mental illness is like any other illness ... it has symptoms, diagnosis, treatment... and most importantly RECOVERY.
    I haven't had an episode since 2006. What would you like to ask about HOW I recovered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fabulous that you have not had an episode since 2006 how did you continue to stay balanced and what do you do each day to remain ok?

      Delete
    2. I radically changed my daily routines into ultra-healthy ones and learned how to balance my emotions. I developed a proactive wellness plan with a repertoire of coping strategies ... how to de-stess and to sleep better
      I embraced the eastern philosophy of Mindfulness, learning to live in the NOW. I empowered myself with potent visualization techniques, rehearsing positive outcomes, facing life’s challenges head-on. Each day I scribbled down how I was feeling, expressing my angst, literally writing my way to recovery.

      Delete
  9. Karen,

    These are all wonderful thoughts and practices to do each day. Eckhart Tolle helped me to focus on the NOW and living today is a daily practice.

    Thanks for sharing your journey.

    Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Read Eckardt Tolle's book too. Loved it. So many lessons to be learned. Karen:)

      Delete