September 10, 2008

The Magical and Amazing Monach Butterfly

Since my 46th birthday back in July this year, I have been attracted to butterflies more than ever before. I see them everywhere, on my walks as they would fly to the beautiful plants, jewellery, words in books, the angel cards I was given advice from even had butterflies on the back and in the pictures. They were all around me.

I have come to associate the butterfly with New Beginnings and to me that has what my life has been like over the past few weeks.

I have been initiated into Reiki Level 1 and have been privileged to carry out charka balances on friends and family. They have found it very relaxing and calming. Attended a psychic seminar learning all sorts of new things from Drumming, feng shui and increasing my own abilities. I was blessed with my girlfriend Kerrie to have a connection with family members that have crossed over, it was so fulfilling. I have been enjoying meditation classes for some weeks now and have meet some lovely people, especially Saba and Cynthia. Last night Cynthia gave me this lovely quote that had came to her from her guide ANARA and it was perfect as I had been inspired to discuss Butterflies before our meeting.

Do not be afraid of life's mysteries. The world is our cocoon, and we must all emerge as butterflies. ANARA

As I was looking for a picture - the Monarch was the one that caught my memory of a beautiful book that I read back last year on my way to the UK. "Secrets of the Monarch - What the Dead can teach us about living a better life" by Allison DuBois, it is a lovely and inspiring story and I had the opportunity to meet with Alison later in that year at a book signing. She is a very kind soul.

The questions that are asked are "How long does a monarch live?" "Why do monarchs migrate south?"

Most monarch's live for 2 to 6 weeks as an adult, but it is the migration that is the most interesting to its yearly life cycle. One butterfly's life cycle is about 6-8 weeks.... egg, caterpillar, chrysalis, butterfly. 4 days inside the egg. It then muches milkweed and grows as a monarch caterpillar for approx 2 weeks. The caterpillar's life inside the chrysalis lasts about 10 days and its wonderful life as an adult butterfly lasts 2 - 6 weeks.

Feb/Mar - hibernating monarchs in Mexico and southern California reawaken, become active, find a mate, begin the flight northward and lay their eggs. Finally they die. These special monarchs have lived about 4-5 months through the long winter.

March/April - the 1st generation are born 2-6 weeks die
May/June - the 2nd generation are born 2-6 weeks die
July/August - the 3rd generation is born 2-6 weeks die
Sept/Oct - the 4th generation is born .... but this generation does not die. It migrates south and lives 6-8 months in Mexico or Southern California. They begin awakening and mating in Feb/Mar of the next spring, and then lay their eggs! Withered and tattered from their migration and hibernation ... they finally die.

It is quiet an amazing process and how amazing is that.
I hope you enjoy finding out a little about the Monarch butterfly and that this may inspire you to findingurwings - roz

No comments:

Post a Comment